Proposition 8: Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry
From Mobilize the Immigrant Vote
- What is the Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry Initiative?
Proposition 8 will eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry, providing that “only marriage between a man and woman is valid or recognized in California.” This change to the constitution would override the California Supreme Court’s decision to allow the granting of marriage licenses to same-sex couples. It would cause potential revenue loss in the next few years of several tens of millions of dollars to state and local governments.
- What do supporters of Proposition 8 say?
- Children need both a father and a mother to live a well-balanced life;
- There is not a strong need for same-sex marriage. Only 2% of marriages in 9 other countries that have same-sex marriage laws are among same sex couples;
- Traditional marriage between only a man and a woman regulates sexuality, civilizes the home, and provides for the proper development of children;
- Same-sex marriage would mandate changes to California public-school curriculum, going against the values of many families, and forcing the acceptance of homosexuality.
- What do opponents of Proposition 8 say?
- It will prohibit the freedom to marry the person of one’s choice;
- It will deny same-sex couples the right to the benefits and dignity of marriage, particularly for immigrant couples, who would continue to be divided from their families;
- Would nullify the California Supreme Court decision which granted gay and lesbian couples the right to marry;
- Goes against the basic right for every person to have the same chance and opportunities to work and live their lives as they desire as long as they do not bring harm to anyone;
- Marriage secures essential rights and protections for the families and children of same-sex couples, such as 1,138 federal benefits that only married couples may receive;
- Lesbian and gay families deserve the same respect and recognition as all other families.
- Who supports Proposition 8?
Organization for Marriage and Focus on the Family, The Church of Latter Day Saints, California Catholic Conference of Bishops
- Who opposes Proposition 8?
Equality California Coalition, Let California Ring, Equality for All, the Equality California Issues PAC, the Human Rights Campaign, Jon